What may be funny to you now… May not be so funny later! The social media site, World Star Hip-Hop has become very popular more so in the black community. It uploads videos titled “bad ass children of the week”. The videos which are uploaded show children between ages of four through thirteen, cursing and fighting and usually the person recording is a mother, father, or older sibling. What you do in your adolescence years, can have a great effect on you in your adult years.Cursing and stealing from our parents as a child, in some homes children receive a spanking and/or time out. Yet in your adult years stealing can possibly get you 20 yrs.
My question is where we pull the plug to this ignorance? Ignorance signifies a state of not knowing. These young children may not see any flaw in their actions if we just stand around and watch it happen! Many children that are allowed to act a certain way at home take greatly effects their early childhood education. Many parents tell their children right from wrong, yet their own actions contradict what they say. When they go to school and act out and the teacher listens to the parent’s plea for help. But in most cases when it seems it is too late to stop the monster they created, medication often times becomes the resolution. Many children are diagnosed with ADHD or Bi-Polar disorder because of their actions in school. We all know kids who can’t sit still, who never seem to listen, who don’t follow instructions no matter how clearly you present them, or who blurt out inappropriate comments at inappropriate times. These children are usually diagnosed with ADHD.
First Observation:Many children are just diagnosed because teachers want their students (children; which is the most physically active stage of your life) to be seated and tranquil at certain times.
Second Observation: The proper approach is not being taken at home on the parent’s behalf.
There is a line drawn between humor and exploitation. It may be time to put more mops in the visitation rooms of the jails, if this epidemic of unacceptable behavior continues.
Many of you have asked me to do a post on non-medicine interventions for your children. Please be advised that, from a physician’s perspective, a stimulant (Ritalin, Adderall or Focalin) is still absolutely essential for academic success of your child. However, I would like to suggest a couple of other ideas that may be helpful for your child’s success:
- Create regular scheduled physical activities-Little league football teams, cheerleading, etc. This sounds ironic but you have to create as much of a normal childhood as possible for your kids. Don’t isolate them or make them feel different or abnormal.
- Create a Token Economy system-Learn early what makes them tick and or happy. The “Token economy system” has worked for years and it is proven to be effective in the sub-population of kids.
- Set reachable GOALS-You have to set goals that are realistic and obtainable for your child or children with ADHD. Comparing your kid, with this illness, with your other kids may not be a good idea. As a matter-of-fact, it is a bad idea and could lend itself to further acting-out by your child who has this mental illness.
- Maintain OUTDOOR activities-Research suggests that kids with ADHD do much better after participating in activities that require them to go outside. This is what I call the Oxygen effect.
- Watch the SUGAR INTAKE-Parents with kids who have ADHD have to learn to be “label readers.” Therefore artificial preservative and excessive sugars are just a bad mix.
- Assigned Regularly Scheduled Chores-Kids with ADHD must be given chores just like all other kids. They can not be exempt for structure and maturation.
- Maintain a “blame-free” environment-They may break things, trip and or fall. Please don’t get frustrated with your child for their errors. If you need a time-out, take a time-out. Unlock the pressure cooker everyday.