DEALING WITH THE MONSTER (oops…MOTHER) -IN LAW
You get married to who you think is your perfect mate and everything seems to going relatively well…except for one thing…THE MOTHER. When you marry someone, you marry them for better or worse and for a majority of men and women, the WORSE tends to be the in-laws, specifically the mother in law.
A new marriage can bring about a lot of stress in a relationship and having difficulties with the spouse’s family can only intensify the stress. Here are some simple tips to keeping the peace and your sanity:
1. Limit Contact.
– You don’t have to call or visit frequently.
– Spend Time when required: i.e. Family Events, BBQ-s, Birthday parties.
2. Refrain from Confronting Conversations and Events.
-If you know your mother in-law hates Tyler Perry…don’t invite her to a Madea movie.
-If your in-law doesn’t believe that Obama was a citizen…don’t Google his birth certificate.
3. Don’t make your spouse take sides.
– Forcing your spouse to choose only causes more turmoil in the relationship and can cause a rift between your own relationship.
– Be honest with your spouse. Express your feelings so when you chose to not spend time with your in-laws, your spouse will understand respect your desires.
4. Maintain a non-confrontational composure.
– Body language can express a message of its own.
– Don’t talk to your in-law with your hands on your hip, or crossed across your chest.
5. MOST IMPORTANT…STAY THE HELL OUT OF THEIR WAY!!!