“Tat my name on you so I know it’s real….”
Drake’s new song, “Free Spirit” (scroll down and listen if you’re lost) urges his woman to tattoo her name on him….so he knows it’s REAL. Since when has getting a permanent alteration on your body meant to be a declaration of love?
Mind you, I’ve seen and/or know plenty of people with permanent reminders of past lovers…but is this something to glorify?
“..let em know you love the boy wassup?”
I’ve got eight other ways you can show it’s real or make your boo feel the love – besides getting that often regrettable body art.
8 Ways To Let Me Know It’s Real
- Give Me A Title –What better way to establish a relationship than with a title? How can you be sure it’s real if y’all are only “talkin’?” Adding a title to your relationship gives it credibility and makes it a little more….REAL.
- Unlock Your Cellphone – Yeah so how can I be sure you’re trying to keep it real with me if you haven’t unlocked your celly? That’s like trying to build a house without a foundation. It just looks kind of suspicious if your cellphone is locked and you want to be, here’s that word again, real.
- Introduce Me To Your Friends – Yeah, your friends are a huge part of your life…but how real is it if I don’t know them? Sorry playa, come again.
- Show Me Love – I’m not advocating that over-the-top, low-key disgusting Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa type PDA…but give me SOMETHING. A table handhold, or brushing my hair out of my face will suffice, so I know it’s real.
- Help Me Grow – A relationship with another person should be about being a team player and supporting each other to reach personal achievements. How can I know it’s real if you’re only out for self? It takes two to tango or create a million-dollar empire like Jada & Will.
- Pick Me Up – This basically means if I’m feeling down…then lift me up. Are you a part or the solution or a part of the problem? Will you have my back? Like make me feel better when I’ve had a horrible day…so I know it’s real.
- Respect Me – Do you share intimate details of your relationship with other people? That’s a huge NO-NO. Respect your union by keeping some things to yourself.
- Protect Yourself – This one can be the difference between life…or some incurable virus that you never saw coming. Getting tested together and making responsible STD & pregnancy prevention preparations is a great way to show it’s REAL.
This list is by no means meant to stand in the way of your tattoo getting aspirations. However, if you’re going to go that route, you could at least make sure your lover is hitting some of the things on this list. Or you may just end up in Marvin’s Room.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
– Lanae Spruce
Do you have any other ideas to add to the list?